scroll

Monday, January 12, 2009

Going on a Treasure Hunt......


This past weekend, I made it out to an estate sale in Portland.  It was advertised as having a lot of vintage sewing and fabric, which motivated me to get out of the house.   I live about 25 miles outside of the big Rose City, so when I head over to that side of the river, it takes some coordinating to get me out early enough to be there when the sale opens up.  My hubby was at the beach doing some clam digging, so it was just me and the boys for the weekend.  I dropped them off with Grandpa at 7:00 am, dropped by the ATM for some cash, and headed over to Portland.  The ad said the list would be out at 8:00 am.  I arrived at 7:55 the list already had 25 names on it...... Those 25 people would be getting in the door first when the door opened at 9:00 am.   I was #26.

My reason for going, the vintage sewing supplies, was a big disappointment.  There really wasn't much there.  However, the rest of the house made up for it.  This was a real digger.  I was down on the floor searching through boxes......you just never know what you'll discover!

The first thing I found was a vintage quilt.  It was in pretty good shape with no tears or holes.  There was some wearing along one of the edges and a couple of small spots.  It looked to be from the 40's, it was quite fluffy or thick, as compared to other quilts I've seen.  The stitching was also of good quality.  I did some research on-line on how to clean it....it needed it.  In case you're interested, here's the link to cleaning a vintage quilt



I also found an old overnight suitcase and lots of decorative glass jars.  I craft a lot and I like to put my supplies in decorative jars, so they can look nice and I can see what I have.  





I also found a box of vintage crafting supplies.....chenille pipe cleaners, glitter, flag stickers, star stickers, and bits and baubles.  



While digging in one of the boxes, I found this set of vintage chenille chickens.  Just in time for Easter, I found a rooster, hen, and three little chicks.  I thought they were so sweet and they're really soft.


One of my favorite things I found, in a broken picture frame, was this precious photo of a little girl sitting on Santa's lap.  It is in the original cardboard sleeve that says "Christmas 1945".  What a little cutie!  I will be using this in my Christmas crafts next year.




Have a Wonderful Day!

Christa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun stuff! The photo with Santa is adorable - it looks like it could be from an old movie. Sue

Laurie said...

Looks like you did great! Isn't it fun to find great treasures?!

Charmingdesigns said...

What wonderful glass jar...and the suitcase...I love it! Laurie